The Writing Center
The Writing Center provides individualized tutoring in all stages of the writing process, primarily to students enrolled in Basic Writing, but also to students enrolled in other NECC courses, so that the inexperienced writer becomes more confident. Rather than help students create strong, individual papers, we seek to create stronger writers.
The primary focus of the Writing Center is to provide individual tutoring to students enrolled in the developmental writing course, Basic Writing. This course requires students to meet with a Writing Center tutor for every assigned essay. In a supportive environment, the staff can help with topic selection, prewriting options, revision strategies, and editing/grammar issues. Students who are enrolled in other NECC courses and need assistance with their writing projects are encouraged to contact the Academic Resource and Tutoring Center first (Spurk C210, 978-556-3411), but may also use the Writing Center. Also, students writing an application to transfer to another college or a scholarship application will receive sound advice and an honest response from the Writing Center.
Services are available on both appointment and drop-in basis, both day and evening, in Haverhill and Lawrence.
What to Expect from Us
- To be greeted by experienced, professional tutors who know how difficult the task of writing can be
- Help in generating ideas
- Tips on developing a strong main idea
- Suggestions on how to use supporting details
- Assistance in recognizing recurring grammar problems
- Word processing assistance
What not to Expect from Us
- Someone else to write your paper for you
- An editor
- All the help you need on the day the paper is due
- The wrath of the red pen
- To learn a concept or get an assignment covered on a day you were absent from class
Acting Writing Center Coordinator
Spurk Building Room 205