Northern Essex Community College offers FREE classes in both Amesbury and Lawrence, Massachusetts.
The Center for Adult Education Programs and Practitioners (CAEPP) is administered by Northern Essex Community College within the Academic Affairs department and funded with grants from the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, MA Department of Higher Education and private contracts. The NECC – Amesbury Adult Learning Center offers Adult Basic Education (ABE) programs in basic math, reading, writing, GED preparation and computer literacy and is located at the Amesbury High School. The NECC – ESOL Program, located at the Lawrence Riverwalk campus, provides classroom instruction in reading, writing, speaking. Each class incorporates basic computer skills. The Transition to College program is offered in Haverhill and Lawrence, MA
The NECC CAEPP serves adults who live in Massachusetts and is committed to:
- Educating adult learners at all levels, from basic skills to GED preparation, college preparation, and career readiness
- Recognizing and respecting the diversity of our students
- Recognizing students with individual attention in small classes
- Providing a safe learning environment
- Encouraging life-long learning
What is Adult Basic Education?
The mission of Adult Basic Education (ABE) Program is to provide instruction in the basic skills of reading, writing, and mathematics to adult learners who lack the skills of a high school graduate. Participation in the ABE program enables adult learners to transition into higher academic/vocational training or the labor market.
ABE includes adult basic education (non-reader to GED); General Education Diploma programs (GED) and English Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL), Workplace Education, Family Literacy and Transition to Community College. ABE services include classroom and integrated computer instruction.
Instruction in basic reading, writing and math for the adult learner. Three class levels are offered: Beginning Literacy, Intermediate (Pre-GED), and Adult Secondary Education (GED Prep).
These programs help adult learners to develop the skills, knowledge, and confidence that will serve them in their roles as family members, parents, community leaders and employees, as well as with post-secondary education and training.
Beginning and Intermediate Literacy
- These two classes provide instruction in reading, writing and math. An assessment test is given to place students.
Adult Secondary Education (GED Prep)
- This class prepares you for your GED exam (to earn your high school equivalency diploma) by concentrating on English grammar, essay writing and math. The GED Test is a set of five multiple-choice exams. The GED and an essay component on a single topic.
Amesbury Adult Learning Center – Amesbury High School
5 Highland Street, Amesbury, MA
For information or program registration please contact:
Funded by the Massachusetts Department of Secondary and Elementary Education