Challenge Exam Overview
Challenge Exam fees are $50.00 per credit. There is a $40.00 non-refundable administrative fee due in advance of scheduling.
Challenge Exams offered:
- CIS101 Computer for Beginners (3 cr.)
- CIS110 Computer Applications (3 cr.)
- CIS112 Integrated Computer Applications (4 cr.)
- CIS113 Database Management (4 cr.)
- Other Computer Course
- MRT117 Basic Diagnosis Coding (3 cr.)
- MRT118 Procedure Coding Systems – CPT (3 cr.)
- MRT204 Reimbursement, Compliance & Coding Issues (3 cr.)
- MRT217 Intermediate Diagnostic Coding (3 cr.)
- MRT218 Intermediate Procedural Coding (3 cr.)
- HES102 Learning Strategies for Success in Healthcare Careers (3 cr.)
- HES115 Medical Terminology (3 cr.)
- RSC101 Fundamentals of Respiratory Care I (3 cr.)
For a Syllabus click on the links below:
- Computer for Beginners (PDF)
- Computer Applications (PDF)
- Computer Applications Syllabus (Abbreviated copy for student challenge exam review) (PDF)
- Integrated Computer Applications (PDF)
- Integrated Computer Applications Syllabus (Abbreviated copy for student challenge exam review) (PDF)
- Data Management Applications (PDF)
- Data Management Syllabus (Abbreviated copy for student challenge exam review) (PDF)
- MRT117 Basic Diagnosis Coding (PDF)
- MRT118 Procedure Coding Systems – CPT (PDF)
- MRT204 Reimbursement, Compliance & Coding Issues (PDF)
- MRT217 Intermediate Diagnostic Coding (PDF)
- MRT218 Intermediate Procedural Coding (PDF)
- RSC201 Fundamentals of respiratory Care I (PDF)
- HES115 Medical Terminology (PDF)
What is a Challenge Exam?
If you feel that your background, education, and experience have given you sufficient knowledge in a subject area, you may challenge certain courses. Earning course credit through Challenge Examinations is equivalent to passing a cumulative, end-of-the-term examination or a series of comparable exams. Examinations will vary depending on the type of course challenged. An instructor of the College recommended by the appropriate Academic Area Dean develops the examination. Each academic area selects which courses are available for challenge and may have academic area-specific screening procedures to determine a student’s eligibility to take the Challenge exam. Challenge exams are not available as an option if other proficiency examinations such as CLEP are available.
A Challenge Exam cannot be taken for the following purposes:
- To expunge a failure in a course at Northern Essex Community College or elsewhere.
- To attempt to raise a low grade in a course at Northern Essex Community College or elsewhere.
- To erase a previously obtained unsatisfactory score on any of the subject examinations.
Challenge Exam Process:
If you desire to pursue a challenge exam you must be able to describe briefly the experiences that provided you with the knowledge and skills relevant to the course being challenged. Upon receipt of your application with academic area approval, and your payment for this service, your exam is scheduled. After a successful challenge, course credit is awarded with a grade of P (Pass).
Steps for Registration:
- Fill out the Credit for Life Learning PLA Student Application
- Submit your non-refundable NECC Administrative fee one of the following ways:
- Click here for online payment. (Payment by credit card) You must sign in or create an account for FlexReg. If you are a current student, your username is your NECC ID and your password is your Self-Service password. If you do not remember your password, contact the Service Desk and they will reset your password to your date of birth and you will then be able to reset it. First time test takers select Challenge Exam Admin Fee-Test One. If you have tested at NECC, select the appropriate Challenge Exam Admin Fee-Test Two. You must fax your Credit for Life Learning PLA Student Application to 978-556-3169 or scan and email it to email@example.com. Note: Internet Explorer (IE) is the preferred browser and Pop-Up Blockers must be disabled to enable registration and payment using FlexReg.
Money Order (Made payable to NECC) – Mail or hand deliver your Credit for Life Learning PLA Student Application & Fee to the Academic Placement & Testing Center, 100 Elliott St., Haverhill, MA 01830, Technology Center, Room TC-128.
Walk-in (Payment by Money Order, made payable to NECC, or by Credit Card) – Stop by the Academic Placement & Testing Center, 100 Elliott St., Haverhill, MA 01830, Technology Center, Room TC-128 to fill out your Credit for Life Learning PLA Student Application and NECC Registration Form.
- A $40.00 non-refundable registration fee is due in advance of scheduling. The fee is $50.00 per credit hour (for a 3-credit course it would be $190.00 and for a 4-credit course it would be $240.00). When staff receives your verification of payment, they will request that an examiner be assigned by the academic area and will notify the examiner to start the exam process. Staff will notify you of the time, date and place of the exam.
- Complete the exam. If you are unable to take the exam on the scheduled date and time, you are responsible to reschedule an appropriate time with the examiner. You must take the Challenge exam no later than one month after the initial scheduled date.
- The examiner will submit a grade report to both our area and the Registrar within seventy-two hours after completion of the exam. Staff will notify you of the exam results.
If you have any questions, please contact: