Academic Placement, Testing & Prior Learning Assessments
You must have a NECC ID to take the ACCUPLACER test. If you do not, click here and fill out the required form to receive your NECC ID. You will receive your NECC ID number via email within 24 hours.
- Assessment in reading, writing, and math to determine placement in courses which are appropriate to the student’s level of academic skills.
Steps required to take the ACCUPLACER Test:
- You must have an NECC ID. If you do not have an NECC ID, please see above or click here . If you have an NECC ID continue with step 2 below.
- Come to the Haverhill Campus during our walk-in times available (click here for our schedule) or call the Lawrence Campus at 978-738-7426 to schedule an appointment.
- You must bring a picture ID and your NECC ID number with you when you come to test.
- Assessment in reading, grammar, writing & communication for students enrolling in the English as a Second Language Program.
- CLEP helps students of all ages earn credit for their college-level knowledge.
- DSST is an effective method to provide your college with evidence of prior learning.
- Assessment for Health Profession applicants.
- Proctored Testing is provided for institutions that would like an exam proctored at NECC for a student from their institution.
- Remote testing involves students taking the ACCUPLACER assessment test at a local educational institution with the intention of attending another college.
- Foreign Languages Proficiency Testing from NYU.
- General Educational Development (GED) Test Battery.
- If you feel that your background, education, and experience have given you sufficient knowledge in a subject area, you may challenge certain courses.
- Designed to recognize and value the breadth of experience and skills adults returning to college bring with them, and for which they may be entitled to college credit.
- A Learning Portfolio is an instrument used by students to petition to receive college credit.
- A process of recognizing and equating to NECC courses, learning that has been achieved within a non-collegiate educational program of study conducted by one or more qualified instructors.
- Evaluation of military for credit recommendations.
The Academic Placement & Testing Center is a member of the National College Testing Association.
Northern Essex Community College is deemed a “Military Friendly School“.