Home » NECC » Uncategorized » Katherine Lavigne

Katherine Lavigne

Faces of NECC Katherine LaVigne

A 1981 graduate of Northern Essex’s Criminal Justice Program, Katherine Lavigne, a captain with the Methuen Police Depatment, has had a very successful career in a field that she loves.

After more than 20 years in the field, Captain Lavigne can highly recommend a career in law enforcement for women as well as men.
“I knew it was the type of work I wanted to do in the fifth grade,” she says. “And I haven’t been disappointed.”

A member of the Methuen Police Department since 1990, she has filled a large number of roles, serving in school resources, as a court liaison, in support services, and in the patrol division. She was promoted to sergeant in 1998, lieutenant in 2002, and captain in 2004.

Those who want to succeed in law enforcement should be dedicated, conscientious, high energy, intelligent, and compassionate, according to Captain Lavigne, and they should focus on their education. “Educated officers are better prepared to take on the responsibility of the job,” she says.

Captain Lavigne practices what she preaches. Since graduating from Northern Essex, she has gone on to earn a bachelor’s from UMass Lowell and a master’s from Western New England College. She says “My education has opened doors for me, giving me the opportunity to advance in my career.”

While it’s been almost 30 years since the captain graduated from Northern Essex, she continues her connection with the college, visiting classrooms regularly to meet with criminal justice students, sharing her experiences in a career which she calls a “fantastic job.”