Home » NECC » Uncategorized » Deirdre Budzyna

Deirdre Budzyna

Faces of NECC Deirdre Budzyna

Professor Budzyna realized she wanted to teach in fourth grade when she had a “fantastic teacher” who inspired her.

And, although she’s transitioned from teaching younger children to a college classroom, she’s never strayed from teaching.

“I’m so lucky; I feel like I found my passion in the fourth grade,” she says. “I always look forward to coming to work.”

Professor Budzyna’s passion for teaching is almost matched by her passion for theater. In fact, she runs her own acting studio two afternoons a week, teaching children ages 4 to 10.

Her favorite class to teach at Northern Essex is “Expressive Learning”, which isn’t surprising since it combines teaching with theatre, art, and music. “It’s a very interactive class. We explore a different art form every week, and students come away with creative projects that they use in their own classrooms.”

A graduate of Mt. Holyoke College and Lesley University, Professor Budzyna hopes that all of her Northern Essex students share her passion for the field of early childhood education. “You need to be excited about this career path. It can be exhausting but you have the opportunity to impact the lives of young children. I can’t think of anything that could be more rewarding.”