Home » NECC » NECC Events » Community Engagement » JFK Event » These are the memories of a newly arrived immigrant.

These are the memories of a newly arrived immigrant.

Cristina Nuncio

Academic Advisor/Mentor – iHealth Programs

I was five years old and we had just moved to Chicago from Mexico. I was home with my mother because I had not yet started kindergarten. My mother’s friend, Gladys, came over and she was crying. My mother (and I) did not speak or understand English so Gladys informed my mother that President Kennedy had been shot. I was looking at the TV and looking at my mother who was sobbing. This was the first time that I saw my mother cry. The days that followed were also very sad. I remember feeling sorry for John John when he saluted the motorcade. Friends of the family came over to talk about this very sad event. These friends were immigrants too, newly arrived from Cuba, Puerto Rico and Mexico. There was a feeling of profound sadness. The conversations centered around the young widow and her small children. Our Cuban friend who was a Methodist minister insisted that Fidel Castro had something to do with the assassination. These are the memories of a newly arrived immigrant who in 1963 was too young to realize the magnitude of this historical event. In 1968 when Reverend Martin Luther King and Bobby Kennedy were assassinated I knew that I was witnessing history. The streets of Chicago were on fire in 1968. I was ten years old. Who could have predicted that by the age of ten I would have witnessed three assassinations that would change the course of history?