Community Service 2007 Activities
The Buttonwoods Museum Project: October 13, 2007
Thirty student volunteers donated their time and energies to clean, paint and revitalize the property at 240 Water Street which houses the Haverhill Historical Society and Buttonwoods Museum, an historic site in the middle of hundreds of years of Haverhill and Merrimack Valley history.
About The Buttonwoods
The Buttonwoods Museum is named for the Buttonwoods or sycamore trees planted on the property in the early 1740’s by Haverhill’s first Irish immigrant, Hugh Tallent. Mr. Tallent worked for the Saltonstall family, who once owned the property.
In 1814, the Duncan family, prosperous merchants, built a fine example of a rural Federal style mansion on the site. Mary Duncan Harris gave “The Buttonwoods” to the Haverhill Historical Society in 1903 and the Museum opened in 1904. The Buttonwoods Museum houses furniture, ceramics, glassware, quilts, dolls and toys.
The Buttonwoods Museum and Haverhill Historical Society is a designated Essex National Heritage Area Visitor Center, offering information to residents and tourists about the city and the region beyond.
At the conclusion of the project, each student volunteer received:
- A letter of participation from NECC
- A letter of appreciation from the Haverhill Historical Society
- At least one of several gift certificates and coupons (donated by various local businesses including Papa Gino’s, the NECC Bookstore)