Request a Student Loan
Federal Direct Stafford Loan Application Process
Before a student can complete the Federal Direct Stafford Loan Master Promissory Note and Federal Direct Stafford Loan Entrance Interview, you must log into your MY NECC account and accept/decline your loan award. Most students are awarded a Stafford Loan as part of their Financial Aid Package. If you were not awarded a Stafford Loan and you wish to borrow a loan or if you were awarded a Stafford Loan but wish to receive the additional unsubsidized Stafford Loan, please complete a direct loan request form as the first step in this process.
Though we provide detailed instructions below on how to complete both the Federal Direct Stafford Loan Master Promissory Note and Federal Direct Stafford Loan Entrance Interview, please know you should not complete these steps until you have confirmed the amount you wish to borrow through MYNECC by Accepting your loan through your MY NECC Account.
Students must complete all components of the application process in order to receive their Federal Direct Stafford Loan proceeds.
Students must complete all components of the application process in order to receive their Federal Direct Stafford Loan proceeds. Students who do not accept their loan and complete the additional requirements within three weeks from the date it was offered will be canceled.
NOTE: You must complete this process prior to your bill due date which may be earlier, or you could be dropped from your classes for Non-Payment.
1. Accepting Your Loan(s) Through MY NECC
- Step 1: Log into Self Service Online
- Step 2: Select the “Financial Aid” Tab
- Step 3: Click “Financial Aid Status” and select “2012-2013 Academic Year” from the drop-down menu
- Step 4: To see your award, click “You have been awarded financial aid which totals…”
- Step 5: To accept your loan(s), select the “Accept Award Offer” tab.
- 1. Accept the full award amount by selecting Accept Full Amount of All Awards.
- 2. Choose Decline or Accept for each fund.
- 3. Accept a partial amount by selecting Accept and entering the amount in the Accept Partial Amount field.
- 4.Other changes/requests cannot be processed through your MY NECC Account, please submit the for all other changes to your loan: Loan Request Form
Options for Accepting Award Offers
- Step 6: Select the “Financial Aid” Tab again. If you are a first time Direct loan recipient, once you accept your student loan(s) you will see “new” outstanding requirements. Click “You have unsatisfied student requirements for this aid year” and complete the requirements.
2. Direct Loan Entrance Counseling
Direct Loan Entrance Counseling is a federal requirement for all students borrowing a Federal Direct Loan for the first time at Northern Essex Community College. Students are required to complete Direct Loan Entrance Counseling before the proceeds from the Direct Loan can be disbursed to the student account. To complete the Direct Loan Entrance Counseling, you will be required to use your Department of Education-issued PIN. If you do not have a PIN, you may request one from www.pin.ed.gov. Once the entrance interview has been completed, do not forget to choose Northern Essex Community College (School Code 002174) in Massachusetts so your confirmation is forwarded to us.
3. Direct Stafford Loan Promissory Note
The Direct Stafford Loan Promissory Note is a legally binding agreement to repay the student loan. This agreement is between the student and the Department of Education. A parent cannot complete the Direct Stafford Loan promissory note (or entrance interview) on the student’s behalf. To complete the Promissory Note online, you will be required to use your Department of Education-issued PIN. If you do not have a PIN, you may request one from www.pin.ed.gov . You will also need to have available the complete names, addresses and telephone numbers of two adult references who live at different addresses (although one may live at the same address as you) and have known you for at least three years. These references are two individuals who will always know your current address and telephone number.
Please note that Direct Loan funds will not be disbursed to your student account until you have accepted your loan through MY NECC, completed the Entrance Counseling requirement, the Direct Loan promissory note and we received confirmation from the Department of Education that all requirements have been satisfactorily completed.
To view some of the most common frequently asked questions regarding the Federal Direct loan program, please visit Direct Loans Frequently Asked Questions. If you have any questions regarding either the completion of Direct Loan Entrance Counseling or the Direct Loans program at Northern Essex Community College, contact the Financial Aid Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.