Applying for Aid & Student Eligibility
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is an on-line application that is used to determine your federal and state financial aid eligibility. All students must complete this form before they can receive any financial aid while attending NECC. The FAFSA is available online at www.fafsa.ed.gov and can be completed in as little as thirty minutes. Filling out the FAFSA could save you thousands of dollars in educational costs. Please be sure to include our School Code: 002174.
Before beginning the application process:
- View the FAFSA Check List to know what documents you need to have when completing the FAFSA.
In order to be considered for most federal, state and institutional financial aid, a student must:
- Demonstrate financial need.
- Be accepted to and enrolled in a degree or certificate program at NECC.
- Have a valid Social Security number.
- Be a citizen, national or permanent resident of the United States or its trust territories.
- Maintain at least half-time enrollment status unless otherwise noted by program guidelines.
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress.
- Meet Selective Service registration requirements.
- Not owe a refund on Title IV money, or be in default on any previous student loan.
- Have a high school diploma or a General Education Development (GED) certificate or graduate from an approved home schooling program.
Get your Federal PIN
You will need your 4-digit PIN to electronically “sign” the FAFSA. If you are a dependent student your parent must also apply for a Federal PIN. If you applied last year, you would have been sent a Federal PIN. If you forgot your PIN, you can request a duplicate PIN online.
If you know your PIN, go directly to Step 2.
Complete the FAFSA
If you completed a FAFSA for the previous academic year, you can complete a Renewal FAFSA.
When completing the FAFSA or Renewal FAFSA, you will be asked a series of questions that determine if you are dependent or independent for financial aid purposes. If you are a dependent student, you are required to report parental income and other information. If independent and married, you are required to report all information regarding your spouse.
Important: Be sure to list NECC’s school code 002174 in the “Schools to Receive Information” section of the FAFSA and sign the FAFSA electronically with your 4-digit PIN.
Review your Student Aid Report (SAR)
Review your Student Aid Report (SAR)—the result of your FAFSA application. You will receive your SAR in one of two ways:
- If you did not provide an email address on your FAFSA, you will receive a paper SAR in the mail (usually this takes a few weeks).
- If you provided an email address on your application, you’ll receive an email within several days that contains a link for you to access your SAR on the Web.
If you listed Northern Essex Community College on the FAFSA, the school will automatically receive an electronic version of your SAR.
Make sure to review and make any changes or corrections to your SAR!
Provide additional documentation to NECC
Check with NECC to see what information/documentation you are required to submit. If your FAFSA was selected for verification, you and your spouse/parent, if applicable, will be required to submit certain documents to verify income and other data reported on your FAFSA.
Important: Stay in touch with NECC. If you receive letters requesting additional documentation required by Federal Law respond promptly as to not delay your financial aid. Your financial aid will not be paid if you have any missing information or documents!
How will I know if I have been approved?
Once your application for financial aid is complete, a counselor will review your file and package your Financial Aid Award. You will receive an email at your NECC email account notifying you that your financial aid package is complete and view-able in Self Service. A detailed award letter will be sent to your NECC email account and your financial aid package will be view able through the myNECC portal.