Career Planning Checklists
It is important to begin to prepare for a career during the first year of college. NECC is committed to ensuring that your transition from college to a career goes smoothly. We have created the following checklists for each year at NECC. With each step of the checklist completed, you will become better prepared for the job search process and level of professionalism required in a career. Although not every step will apply; these checklists are designed to assist you on your path to success in a future career!
Career Checklist Year One (First 24 credits)
ENCOUNTER where to go and how to get there. DISTINGUISH yourself and find your focus!
- Make an appointment with Career Planning and Advising (CPAC) to discuss career goals and options.
- Create an account on NECClink. Familiarize yourself with the system and explore the job and internship search tools and the Multimedia Resource Library.
- Begin to build your resume. Join and become a leader in a student club or organization or get involved in the many programs, services and resources available at NECC.
- Register online and attend NECC career workshops to explore careers, to create cover letters and resumes, to practice interviewing, to understand social media in a job search, and to learn how to dress for success.
- Use NECClink’s Resume Builder to create a resume and cover letter. Send your resume and cover letter to an NECC faculty or staff for review.
- Gain experience and enhance your resume by applying for jobs, internships, and volunteer opportunities on NECClink.
- Attend college events to network with NECC faculty and staff.
- Participate in a job shadow to meet industry professionals and to discover interests in a particular field.