It is important to begin to prepare for a career during the first year of college. NECC is committed to ensuring that your transition from college to a career goes smoothly. We have created the following checklists for each year at NECC. With each step of the checklist completed, you will become better prepared for the job search process and level of professionalism required in a career. Although not every step will apply; these checklists are designed to assist you on your path to success in a future career!
Career Checklist Year One (First 24 credits)
ENCOUNTER where to go and how to get there. DISTINGUISH yourself and find your focus!
Career Checklist Year Two
CONNECT your goals! Put all the pieces together and prepare to ACHIEVE your dreams!
- Register online and attend NECC career workshops to explore careers, to create cover letters and resumes, to practice interviewing, to understand social media in a job search, and to learn how to dress for success.
- Update and revise your resume as you become more involved and gain experience.
- Prepare for a job search by researching and exploring industries, employers, salaries, and career opportunities in your field of interest. Visit resources such as O*Net and the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook.
- Develop a list of employers that interest you with contact names and addresses.
- Continue to use NECClink to apply for jobs, internships, and volunteer opportunities.
- Visit the Multimedia Resource Library on NECClink to gain a better understanding of informational interviewing and networking and to learn how they can help you in your job search. Practice with NECC faculty and staff, and local employers.
- Visit the Multimedia Resource Library on NECClink to learn more about social media and how it can impact your job search. Audit your social media accounts!
- Create a LinkedIn account and join our Alumni LinkedIn page.
- Use NECClink’s Resume Builder to draft cover letters to potential employers. Highlight relevant experiences and transferable skills. Visit NECClink’s Multimedia Resource Library for helpful hints on cover letter writing.
- Attend on-campus career events to explore career interests.
- Use NECClink to apply for full-time positions after graduation and gain as much interviewing experience as possible. Visit NECClink’s Multimedia Resource Library for helpful hints on interviewing.
- Let NECC’s Career Services know when you have found a job!