Privacy Act Information
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended, insures confidentiality of educational records and prescribes the conditions under which information about students can be released to the student, parents or guardians, and authorized third parties. In addition, the Act defines the general record keeping requirements that the institution must maintain to insure accuracy and access of student educational data. The general Provisions of the Act are basic to the following guidelines:
- Students have the right to inspect their academic record (transcript) and student file, and request corrections to data that they believe to be in error or challenge the contents of their student record. The student academic record and file includes all information as of the date of the application.
- Students have the right to obtain copies of their academic records, must do so in writing, and may be charged for copies.
- The institution may refuse to provide transcripts for such reasons as nonpayment of financial obligation of debt owed the college, but students still retain the right to inspect their records.
- Directory information is defined as the student’s name, address and telephone listing, date and place of birth, student ID number, student email address, major field of study, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received and the most recent previous educational institution attended by the student.
- The institution may disclose academic and directory Information to college administrators and faculty whom the college has determined to have legitimate educational interests.
- A student has the right to restrict release of directory information in whole to certain parties, and must submit a request in writing to the Registrar.
For the complete Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) Policy, visit http://www.necc.mass.edu/student-services/current/policies-conduct/family-educational-rights-and-privacy-act-ferpa-policy/.