Campus Safety Awareness
Crime prevention is a high priority for Campus Security and the college.
The college maintains its buildings with a concern for safety and security. Campus Security, through patrols of its buildings, informs the college administration about potential safety and security hazards. Contact Campus Security with concerns of this nature.
Crime Prevention Tips
Follow the tips below to help make NECC a safer campus. You may also view our recent Campus Safety Presentation: Personal Safety at Work, Home School and in Public.
Use student lockers.
- Lockers are available for rent and are located on the second floor in the Spurk (C Building) on the Haverhill campus and in the cafeteria on the Lawrence campus. Please visit the Student Engagement Center if you are interested in renting a locker.
Protect your valuables while taking public transportation.
- When taking public transportation, take extra care in protecting your valuables. Keep them under close watch and never leave them out of your reach.
Secure your bicycle.
- Never leave your bicycle unsecured. Buy a good lock and use it. Bicycle racks are located outside of B and C-Buildings at the Haverhill campus and at the main entrance at the Lawrence campus.
Observe, observe, observe.
- Become familiar with your surroundings and take note of the location of telephones. Knowing where to access assistance quickly in an emergency is key to assuring your safety.
Automobile Security Tips
Register your car with Campus Security.
- Parking stickers are required and fees apply for all students, faculty and staff on both the Haverhill and Lawrence campuses. Free and visitor parking is available in designated areas. Please refer to the Public Safety Parking Policy for detailed information.
Secure your car and its contents.
- Always keep your car doors locked, both when you are traveling and when it is parked. Always keep valuable items out of view or locked in the trunk. Leaving stereo equipment, tapes, discs, wallets, radar detectors or other such items invite a break in, which may result in damage and loss.
When going to your car…
- Always try to walk with other people. Walk with your keys in your hand and be ready to unlock your car. Get in and lock it right away. Always check your back seat before getting into the car and when appropriate wait for others to start their cars before driving off.
Be aware of vehicles behind you when traveling.
- If someone starts following you, drive to a police or fire station, a busy gas station or store, and ask for assistance in calling the police. Stay calm so you can describe the person and automobile to the police. Always try to record the license plate number.
Personal Safety Tips
Walk with other students.
- Whenever possible, do not walk alone. In addition, there are usually other students and staff who are going into and out of the parking lots and other campus buildings who would welcome you walking with them. Always walk in well-lighted areas.
Carpool only with people you know.
- Never accept a ride from a stranger.
Record a description of suspicious persons.
- If you see suspicious activity, do not intervene. Record a description of the person involved and the location and report it to Campus Security immediately.
Escape is your primary objective.
- If you become involved in a dangerous situation, do not attempt a physical confrontation if escape is possible. Go to the nearest phone and call Campus Security.