As the need for quality, affordable, legal services continues to grow, so do employment opportunities for paralegals. Paralegals assist lawyers in a wide range of duties, including conducting research, writing drafts of legal documents, interviewing clients, and providing administrative support. If you are seeking a rewarding career as a paralegal, Northern Essex offers several options for you to choose from.
The Paralegal Studies Program at NECC features options to either enter the workforce directly or transfer to a four-year bachelor’s degree program. You can choose from a paralegal certificate, a career option associate degree, or a transfer option associate degree. NECC’s Paralegal Studies Program will provide you with a credential for employment in a law office, corporate office, government agency, or other facility under the supervision of an attorney. While paralegals assist attorneys with a wide range of tasks, paralegals must not set fees, give legal opinions or advice, or represent a client before a court or agency.
- Paralegal Studies
- Now offered on the Haverhill Campus
The mission of the Paralegal Studies Program is to provide an affordable high-quality education in Paralegal Studies by combining legal theory and practice with general education requirements to enable students: (1) to achieve professional competence assisting their supervising attorneys, and/or (2) to transfer to a four-year institution in pursuit of a bachelor’s degree.
Graduates of the Paralegal Program will be able to:
- Demonstrate critical thinking skills to analyze legal disputes using sound and well-based judgments
- Express themselves using oral, interpersonal, and written skills
- Demonstrate proficiency in technology, including performing on-line legal research
- Exhibit an understanding of the legal profession and the paralegal’s ethical obligations as part of a legal team
- Demonstrate basic legal research skills and a mastery of basic citation format
- Show a commitment to continuing their professional or personal growth
Transfer Policy for Paralegal Courses
This policy governs the transfer of legal specialty courses taken at other colleges to Northern Essex Community College (NECC).