Challenge Exam Registration Information
Challenge Exam fees is $50.00 per credit. There is a $40.00 non-refundable administrative fee due in advance of scheduling.
Registration Steps (1-2):
1. Submit your non-refundable NECC Administration Fee of $40.00 and complete the required PLA Student Application. Provide payment information on the PLA Student Application (pg. 2) for the per credit awarded fee which is $150.00 ($50.00 per credit hour x 3 credits) or $200 ($50.00 per credit x 4 credits).
- Online – Click here to register, submit your PLA Student Application online and pay your registration fee by credit card. You must sign in or create an account for FlexReg. If you are a current student, your username is your NECC ID and your password is your Self-Service password. If you do not remember your password, contact the Service Desk and they will reset your password to your date of birth and you will then be able to reset it. The registration cycle is January-December of each year. During each registration cycle, first time test takers select Challenge Exam -Test One. If you have taken a Challenge Exam at NECC during the registration cycle (January-December of the current year), select the Challenge Exam – Test Two, Test Three or Test Four.
If you have trouble submitting your application online you can scan/save and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org or print and fax it to 978-556-3169.
Internet Explorer (IE) is the preferred browser and Pop-Up Blockers must be disabled to enable registration and payment using FlexReg.
When using FlexReg for your online payment, do not X out of the windows until you have completed the entire process. Once you register and the payment process is complete, you can then Sign Out.
Do not close any windows throughout the FlexReg process. Leave your FlexReg window open and your TouchNet Payment window open until you have completed the payment process.
You will receive two (2) emails upon completion of your FlexReg process; one for your Course Registration and the second one for your TouchNet Payment confirmation. Do not close any windows until you receive these two (2) emails. Once you receive the two (2) emails, you can Sign Out. Do not X out.
- Walk-in – Click here to print out the PLA Student Application and bring the completed application to the Academic Placement & Testing Center. You can make your payment for your registration fees by credit card, money order at the time you walk-in.
- Mail-in – Click here to print out the PLA Student Application and mail the completed application in with a money order, made payable to NECC, for $40.00.
2. Make sure that you include an email address. Once the form and payment are received, you will be contacted via email and given directions to arrange to take the exam.
Some NECC programs of study require demonstration of computer competency skills at a minimum level equivalent to CIS101 Computer for Beginners (3 credits) or CIS110 Computer Applications (3 credits). Recognizing that many students are already skilled in the use of computers, you have the option of taking a Challenge Exam to earn these credits. Please review the Challenge Exam policies and application procedures listed below.
IMPORTANT: Data management or a file management-based computer course taken at another accredited institution may satisfy your computer competency requirement. Have an official transcript sent to the Office of the Registrar for evaluation. You must have earned at least a “C” for transfer of credit.
Challenge Exam Policies
The Challenge Exam fee is not refundable. A minimum of a “C” is required to pass the exam, your grade will be posted as a “P” for pass. The “P” will not impact your overall Grade Point Average. Also, be advised that Challenge Exam credits may not readily transfer to another academic institution.
There are syllabi available to help you prepare for the exam. If you do not achieve the required score, your payment is not refundable and you will be required to sit for the course and pay the full tuition and fees. Therefore, if you need further preparation you can access free tutorials on the Microsoft Website. If you have additional questions regarding test content please contact the the Academic Placement & Testing Center for discussion related to your viability as a Challenge Exam candidate.