There are Numerous Scholarship Opportunities Available, Aside from the Federal, State and College Funding Sources
The following is a list of web sites that offer information on various scholarships. These scholarships and sites are not affiliated with or endorsed by Northern Essex Community College. More information is available at your local public library in the reference section.
Scholarship Search Engines
- College Board
- FastWeb Scholarship Sources
- Financial Aid Information Page
- Peterson’s Educational Center
- Scholar Search
Helpful Government Sites
- US Department of Education
- MA Department of Education Website and MA Department of Education
- NH Department of Education
Additional Scholarship Sites
What About Scholarship Search Services That Contact Me?
Many private scholarship search services provide lists of sources of financial assistance for which you may apply. You should be aware that we do not evaluate private scholarship search services. If you decide to use a service, you can check its reputation by contacting the Better Business Bureau or a state attorney general’s office.
How Can I Tell These Search Services Aren’t Scams?
Are there any signs I should look for? Estimates show that families lose millions of dollars to scholarship fraud every year. The College Scholarship Fraud Prevention Act provides protection against fraud in student financial assistance. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) cautions students to look for these telltale lines:
- “The scholarship is guaranteed or your money back.”
- “You can’t get this information anywhere else.”
- “I just need your credit card or bank account number to hold this scholarship.”
- “You’ve been selected by a ‘national foundation’ to receive a scholarship” or “You’re a finalist” in a contest you’ve never entered.
Be careful when searching for information for student financial assistance. Make sure information and offers are legitimate. Don’t fall prey to fraud.
To file a complaint, or for free information, call 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357) or visit FTC.gov/scholarshipscams
(The information above is from: United States Department of Education. 2003. Funding Your Education. Washington, D.C. )Print View