This site is best viewed in Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or EdgeX

Maintaining Your Lawful Status in the United States

If you are currently an NECC student and you are taking classes while on an F-1 visa, we will provide you with information that will allow you to maintain your lawful status in the United States.

Please be advised, while in the United States all international students must follow the Department of Homeland Security rules and regulations which include:

  • Be enrolled in full-time study each semester (at least 12 credits)
  • Be in good Academic standing – going to classes, passing assignments etc.
  • May only work:
    • On campus- 20 hours during the semester with authorization from an International Student Advisor
    • Off-campus- generally not allowed

Questions Regarding the Legal Requirements of Your Stay

If you have questions regarding the legal requirements of your stay in the United States, please contact Izabela Iem, International Student Advisor & Designated School Official (DSO).

Contacting your Designated School Official (DSO) if Planning Changes

Please also contact your DSO if you are planning to do any of the following:

  • Change your major, program, or degree level
  • Change your education level
  • Drop class
  • Transfer to a new school or take a leave of absence
  • Travel outside the United States
  • Move to a new address
  • Request a program extension
  • Apply for a CPT/OPT
  • Need a letter for DMV/Government Agency
  • Apply for graduation
  • Have visa issues/questions, etc.

NECC International Student Advisor Contact

To request an appointment with an International Student Advisor please complete the online request form here.

Izabela K. Iem, M.Ed.
Admissions & Enrollment Counselor,
DSO International Student Advisor
Office of Admissions & Enrollment Services and Career Planning & Advising Center
100 Elliott Street
Haverhill, MA 01830
Phone: 978-556-3726 | Email:

Print viewPrint View
Get Map and Diretions on Google