Contact the Academic Placement & Testing Center
As a member of the National College Testing Association (NCTA), the Academic Placement and Testing Center adheres to the NCTA Professional Standards and Guidelines. Northern Essex Community College provides a high-quality, professional testing environment for NECC students and residents of the greater Merrimack Valley and surrounding area. The Testing Center is committed to maintaining the integrity of high-stakes testing for academic placement, for the provision of academic credit, and for professional licensures and certifications. Testing Center services align with NECC’s mission statement, strategic plan, and academic master plan by recognizing and appreciating the diversity of the student population and community. The Academic Placement and Testing Center is dedicated to providing the tools and services that enable each individual to achieve his or her academic and professional goals.
Academic Placement & Testing Center Policy
The Academic Placement & Testing Center adheres to the general policies, ethical practices and guidelines issued by the National College Testing Association (NCTA) and Code of Fair Testing Practices in Education, as outlined below:
- Develop and implement a mission statement consistent with the policies and standards set forth in this document as well as their institutional mission.
- Operate with adequate financial resources to support the mission of the test center.
- Maintain adequate physical facilities in a location suitable to the requirements of the test center and the needs of examinees, which includes compliance with minimum legal requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
- Operate in a diligent manner to promote honesty, integrity, and fairness in all procedures.
- Operate under the guidelines of equal opportunity, affirmative action, and the ADA, as well as other local, state, and federal regulations.
- Protect the integrity of the test by following appropriate exam handling and storage procedures and by ensuring vigilant proctoring.
- Protect the confidentiality and rights of privacy of examinees and staff, defined by FERPA and other regulations.
- Adhere to program requirements of test companies in the administration of specific tests.
- Adhere to requirements and policies of their institutions in the administration of classroom exams and other assessments.
- Treat examinees in a fair, courteous, professional, and nondiscriminatory manner.
- Respond to examinee concerns with respect while maintaining the integrity of the administration.
- Make referrals to other campus offices and testing resources, as needed, to provide students and clients with the most appropriate services of the institution and community.
- Develop and implement site-specific guidelines for test center operations and staff training.
- Evaluate the programs of the test center in an on-going, systematic, and comprehensive manner.
The Academic Placement & Testing Center adheres to specific regulations outlined by individual test companies, including prohibited items.
For test companies that may not list prohibited items, the Academic Placement & Testing Center has determined prohibited items will include, but not limited to cell phones, digital watches, smart watches, internet, textbooks, dictionaries and calculators. Note: Exceptions will be made for students with documented accommodations.
Prohibited items must be stored in an area where they cannot be accessed or visible while the test session is in process. They may be stored in a locker, provided by the test center or in a personal item where the prohibited item is not accessible or visible.
Code of Fair Testing Practices in Education
(2004, Washington, DC: Joint Committee on Testing Practices)
National Certification Testing Association
Main Number: 978-556-3872
Haverhill Fax Number: 978-556-3169
Lawrence Fax Number: 978-738-7116
Associate Dean, Student Success & Support Services
Coordinator, Academic Placement & Testing Center