The Massachusetts Mandatory Health Insurance Law requires that all students carrying 9 credits or more in the Fall or Spring terms must participate in the Massachusetts Regional Community College Student Accident & Sickness Insurance Plan or in a health insurance program with comparable coverage. This law does not apply to students who register for 9 credits or more in the Summer term only.
If you have questions concerning the health insurance program being offered by Northern Essex Community College for the Academic Year 2016-2017, you will find Benefit and Plan Information as well as Frequently Asked Questions by clicking on Gallagher Student Health & Special Risk who services the plan.
If you have comparable coverage you may waive the insurance premium by filling out an electronic waiver (see waiver instructions listed below). The deadline for submitting this waiver is the due date of your bill. If you have not completed an online waiver by the due date of your bill, it will be assumed that you do not have your own health insurance and the insurance charge will remain on your account.
WAIVER DEADLINE: You must submit your waiver for the Fall 2016 by the payment due date of August 10, 2016. If you register for the Fall 2016 on/after Friday, August 5, 2016, you must submit your waiver upon registration.
Important Notes on Insurance Waivers
- Programs such as Health Safety Net, Children’s Medical Security Plan, MassHealth Limited, any Free Care Plan offered by a medical facility or any insurance policy offered by a foreign carrier cannot be used to waive this insurance. If you are currently covered under CommonwealthCare, ConnectorCare, MassHealth, Network Health Extend (formerly the Medical Security Program), have comparable coverage for a student under age 26 through a parent’s plan, or comparable coverage offered by a plan through the student’s employer, you may use these plans to waive the health insurance premium.
- If you waive the insurance charge in the Fall term, you do not have to waive it again in the Spring term: the premium charge will be automatically adjusted in the Spring term.
- If you waive the insurance charge in the Fall term, you may not purchase the insurance from the College in the Spring term.
What if my own health insurance is terminated after I used it to waive the College’s insurance?
If your health insurance coverage is terminated, you must contact Gallagher Student Health at 877.320.1711 within 30 days of the termination date, for information on how you may purchase health insurance directly from the insurance company.
All Health Insurance Waivers are now ONLINE!
The following information is needed in order to complete the waiver form. Most of this information will be found on your current health insurance ID card:
- Insurance Company Name
- Group Number or Policy Number
- Subscriber’s Name (Name of Policyholder)
- Relationship of Subscriber to Student
Health Insurance Waiver Instructions:
When you have this information, follow the steps below to complete the waiver.
- Log onto the College’s website: www.necc.mass.edu
- Click on myNECC in the upper right hand corner.
- Log in, using your myNECC ID and password.
- Click on the My Information tab.
- Under My Account, click on Waive My Health Insurance. This will take you to Arthur J. Gallagher & Company’s Welcome NECC Students web site.
- On the left side menu and under Student Access, click on Student Waive
- Create a user account (Returning Users can log in). You will need your 8-digit NECC ID Number which begins with at least 2 “0”s. If you don’t know your NECC Student ID Number, you can find it on your class schedule or transcript. You can also call Enrollment Services at the College during business hours. Phone: 978-556-3700.
- Select the I WANT TO WAIVE button
- Have your current health insurance ID card ready. Complete your waiver information.
- After submitting the form you will immediately receive a confirmation number. Make sure to save and print your confirmation number.
Questions or Issues completing your Health Insurance Waiver?
Contact: Gallagher Student Health directly.
Phone: 877.320.1711 or 617.328.2309
NOTE: Your waiver information will be updated to your NECC student account 24 business hours after submission. For the MassHealth eligible students who select to enroll into the Premium Assistance program, you will go through an additional verification process, and if approved, it may take up to 72 business hours for the waiver to be confirmed and applied to your NECC student account. You may contact MassHealth at 855-273-5903, should you have questions about your eligibility for the Premium Assistant program.
Important: The Online Waiver is the only accepted method to waive insurance premium and coverage.
Part-time student, spouse, dependent coverage no longer available.
The Plan is Underwritten by: Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts
500 Victory Rd.
Quincy, MA 02171
Massachusetts Health Care Reform Law
NECC cannot advise you about the new Massachusetts Health Care Reform Law, but we can suggest the following resources:
Call 1.877.MA.ENROLL (1.877.623.6765). You may call Monday through Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm. TTY: 1.877.623.7773. All calls are free and private. Spanish version available; free interpreter services for other languages.
As of January 1, 2009, the Massachusetts HealthCare Reform Law requires that Massachusetts residents, eighteen (18) years of age and older, must have health coverage that meets the Minimum Creditable Coverage Standards set by the Commonwealth Health Insurance Connector, unless waived from the health insurance requirement based on affordability or individual hardship. For more information call the Connector at 1-877-MA-ENROLL or visit the Connector website (www.mahealthconnector.org).
If you have questions, you may contact the Division of Insurance by calling (617) 521-7794 or visiting the website at www.mass.gov/doi.