FAQ About NECC Scholarships
- Who is eligible for a Friends of NECC Scholarship?
- I’m an incoming freshman can I apply for a scholarship?
- Does NECC offer any Transfer Scholarships?
- What types of scholarships does NECC offer?
- Where do I get an NECC General Scholarship application?
- What do I do once I have a scholarship application?
- When will I know if I have or have not received a scholarship award?
- How will I receive my scholarship award?
- How do I receive my Transfer Scholarship award?
- What should I write in my personal statement?
- How do I obtain a letter of recommendation?
- What type of information should be included in a letter of recommendation?
- How do I submit my letter of recommendation?
- I receive Financial Aid, can I apply for a scholarship?
- If I do not have Financial Aid, can I apply for a scholarship?
- Can I apply for a scholarship every year?
Answers to Scholarship Frequently Asked Questions
1. Who is eligible for a Friends of NECC Scholarship?
Current NECC Students who meet all the Friends of NECC Scholarship requirements:
- Must have 9 credits completed at Northern Essex
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5
- Register for Fall 2016 semester for a minimum of 6 credits.
- Answer essay questions on online application
- Submit 1 Letter of Recommendation (faculty or advisor preferred)
2. I’m an incoming freshman can I apply for a scholarship?
The NECC Alumni Association and the NECC Foundation, Inc. offer scholarships for incoming freshman.
3. Does NECC offer any Transfer Scholarships?
Yes. NECC Transfer Scholarship awards are for students transferring to a Baccalaureate school, in the Fall of 2015.
4. What types of scholarships does NECC offer?
NECC offers many types of scholarships including:
- General Scholarships (Requirements: minimum 2.5 GPA, 9 credits completed at Northern Essex, registered for 6 credits.) Forms are available on our website.
- Transfer Scholarships
- Incoming Freshman Scholarships
- Retention Scholarships
- IHealth Scholarships
5. Where do I get an NECC General Scholarship application?
Scholarship application forms become available online (in early February through mid-April). You will login to the scholarship software using your NECC ID and Password.
6. What do I do once I have a scholarship application?
Complete the online application and submit any additional requirements as needed by the deadline date.
7. When will I know if I have or have not received a scholarship award?
All students will receive notification whether or not they have received an award by the middle of July 2016. Please Note: Every scholarship recipient must submit a thank you note addressed “Dear Donor” within two weeks of acceptance.
8. How will I receive my scholarship award?
Your offer letter will be emailed to you at your student email address. The email will have instructions on how to accept your award. Once all requirements have been met, your award will be applied to your fall bill.
9. How do I receive my Transfer Scholarship award?
Please Note: Transfer Scholarship recipients must formally accept their award and submit a thank you letter addressed “Dear Donor” within two weeks of acceptance. Then they must submit a copy of their transfer school tuition bill by mail to:
Cheryl Dick, NECC
100 Elliott Street Haverhill, MA 01830
Or fax to 978-556-3645
Once Northern Essex receives your bill, your scholarship award will be mailed directly to your school.
10. What should I write in my personal statement?
Your personal statement helps the scholarship committees get to know you. Your personal statement is where you can stand out from the rest of the applicants.
You must submit ONE essay that discusses the following two topics:
- Please tell us about your need for financial assistance
- Please tell us about your interest in your program or major and how NECC has impacted your life.
11. How do I obtain a letter of recommendation?
Please ask a current or past faculty member, advisor, or employer to write your letter of recommendation. (We do not accept recommendations from family members or classmates) Pay attention to scholarship deadlines, and be sure to give the person writing your letter plenty of time to complete it. Be aware that some faculty and staff may be approached by more than one student to write this type letter. It is important to be respectful and appreciative of your reference’s time.
12. What type of information should be included in a letter of recommendation?
- Reference’s name and professional title/organization
- Reference’s relationship to applicant
- The letter should state how long, and in what context, the reference has known the student
- The letter should describe any characteristics, personal, professional, or academic, that would make this applicant a good candidate for a scholarship award.
13. How do I submit my letter of recommendation?
Ask your reference for their NECC email address. Enter your reference’s name and email address into your online application. A notification will be sent to the reference prompting them to upload your letter. You will be able to view the status of your letter by logging into your application.
14. I receive Financial Aid, can I apply for a scholarship?
Yes. Receiving Financial Aid does NOT prevent you from applying for a scholarship.
15. If I do not have Financial Aid, can I apply for a scholarship?
Yes, all eligible NECC students can apply.
16. Can I apply for a scholarship every year?
Yes. Receiving a scholarship does not prevent you from applying again the next year.