Apply online
Getting Started
Request Info
Find a Program
Search Schedule
Register Now

Home » Getting Started » New Student Checklist

New Student Checklist

If you haven’t already, make sure you:

TAKE the Academic Placement Assessment

In Haverhill or Lawrence
All students must take the Academic Placement Assessment which measures your reading, writing, and math skills.  Students with prior college credits or SAT scores may be eligible for a partial or full waiver of the assessment. For more information regarding the placement test, or time and dates it is given, visit Assessment. If you require accommodations or access services, students with documented disabilities are encouraged to call 978-556-3654. Students who are deaf and hard of hearing should call 978-241-7045 (Vp/voice).

Apply for Financial Aid Online

Financial Assistance is available to help you finance your education. Your first step in the Financial Aid process is to apply for a PIN at Your second step is to complete a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) at When completing the FAFSA online, be sure to list Northern Essex Community College in the “schools information section.” NECC’s code is 002174. Once NECC has received your FAFSA, you will be notified of any additional requirements.


SUBMIT Required Forms:

PROOF of High School Graduation

Please submit one of the following: your final high school transcript and/or diploma, GED/HiSet diploma and/or scores, state approved equivalency credential or a transcript from an approved home school program.

Immunization Requirement Form

Proof of immunization is required for: 1) all full-time undergraduate students; 2) all full-time and part time health science students; and 3) any full-time or part-time student attending a post-secondary institution while on a student or other visa, including foreign students attending or visiting classes as part of a formal academic visitation exchange program.

Meet with an Advisor to Develop an Academic Plan and Register for Classes

No appointment is necessary to register for classes. Drop by the One-Stop in Haverhill or Lawrence and an advisor can help you develop an academic plan and register for your classes.


Submit College Transfer Transcripts

Submit official college transcripts from all colleges and universities you have attended.

Submit Transcripts and Diplomas from Foreign Countries

Transcripts and diplomas from foreign countries must be evaluated for US equivalency by a recognized credential evaluation agency such as the
Center for Educational Documentation (CED) 617-338-7171.

Contact Veterans and Military Services

Veterans and military connected individuals, including dependents should contact Alexis Fishbone at 978-556-3615 or email

Contact Learning Accommodations Center

Six to eight weeks before your semester starts, students with documented disabilities should ask for a ‘Request Services Meeting’ by contacting the Learning Accommodations Center at email, or calling 978-556-3654.