NECC’s Art and Design Associate Degree Can Help Get You Where You Want to Go!
Do you enjoy drawing, painting, photography or using computer programs for artistic expression? The Art and Design Program will provide the foundation you need to prepare for hundreds of creative careers.
Why Choose NECC?
By earning an Associate Degree in General Studies: Art and Design you will be able to pursue a career in a variety of fields in art, or transfer to earn your Bachelor’s degree. You can choose courses from fine arts, multimedia, photography, or graphic design. With this program you will:
- Practice and refine your skills in well-resourced art studios
- Gain hands on experience with the most recent software programs for artists
- Benefit from an arts internship, gaining invaluable real-world experience
- Work on projects for NECC clubs and organizations and see your work professionally printed and posted
- Participate in Portfolio Day, where representatives from art colleges around the region and the country will review your work and discuss transfer opportunities
Because of NECC
You will be able to join the many NECC alumni who are enjoying careers where they get to use their creativity every day. This includes a significant number who are thriving as independent artists. After completing the General Studies: Art and Design program you can:
- Take advantage of MassTransfer Pathways and other transfer agreements to earn your bachelor’s degree in an arts-related field, while saving thousands of dollars on the cost of your degree
- Get an entry-level job or pursue freelance assignments
- Work in a broad array of industries that require visual communication from advertising and marketing to events and entertainment, to healthcare and tourism
I’m always designing and I’ve been able to incorporate my business designs into school projects and vice versa. I love Northern Essex.”
CJay DiPrima, General Studies: Art
Hear What Faculty Have to Say About the Program
View video on the NECC YouTube Channel.
Courses and RequirementsSkip Required Courses and Program Notes
The Associate in Arts, General Studies: Art and Design Degree is designed to provide students who have an interest in art and design with a focus on a specific area of the arts. There are four recommended focuses a student can choose from:
- Fine Arts
- Graphic Design Focus
- Multimedia Focus
- Photography Focus
*A pathway is the most efficient sequence of courses semester-to-semester recommended for students to complete their degree.