Deaf Studies: Sign Language Interpreter Certificate
Get Started in a Rewarding Career as a Sign Language Interpreter
If you have an associate degree or higher, and would like an intensive program designed to provide you with a foundation in American Sign Language (ASL), Deaf Culture, and Interpreting, this is the program for you. Participants will also have an opportunity to explore careers in sign language interpreting.
Why Choose NECC?
With the Deaf Studies: Sign Language Interpreter Certificate, you can prepare for a career in American Sign Language (ASL)/English interpreting.
- Learn about the language, culture, and community of Deaf/Hard of Hearing/DeafBlind people
- Take part in networking opportunities with alumni and professionals in the community
- Participate in NECC’s American Sign Language (ASL) club
- Make yourself more marketable by adding this certificate to your associate or bachelor’s degree
Because of NECC:
Upon successful completion of the Deaf Studies: Sign Language Interpreter Certificate, you can:
- Prepare to take the state-level Massachusetts Interpreter Screening through the Massachusetts Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (MCDHH). MCDHH-screened interpreters are eligible for entry-level interpreting work.
- Seek a career in a variety of settings. NECC graduates have gone on to work at:
- K-12 Education
- Adult Education Centers
- Colleges and Universities
- Public Events
- Medical, doctors’ offices and hospitals
- Mental Health and social services
- Substance Abuse counselling
- Non-profit and Corporate meetings and events
- Religious settings and events
- Social events
- Legal settings
- Vocational Rehabilitation
- Performing Arts
- Deaf Blind-Tactile/Close-vision
- Video Relay/Video Remote interpreting
NECC has a great ASL program … it’s flexible and affordable.”
Lina Garcia Kosko, Deaf Studies: Interpreting Transfer