Direct Support Certificate
Use Your Abilities to Help People With Disabilities
If you already have patience, sensitivity, and a strong desire to help others, NECC’s Direct Support Certificate can prepare you to work directly with individuals who have intellectual or developmental disabilities.
Why Choose NECC?
The program, which was designed to develop competencies in accordance with the National Community Support Skills Standards, will provide you with an understanding of developmental disabilities, and provide practical strategies for building rapport, adapting communication styles, and building problem-solving skills. With this program you will:
- Learn the best ways to help clients achieve maximum self-sufficiency
- Benefit from supervised practicum experiences providing direct services to individuals with disabilities
- Practice observation, communication, interviewing and documentation skills
- Be able to apply earned credits towards NECC’s Associate Degree in Human Services
Because of NECC
In just one year you will be qualified to work in a variety of human services settings, or to continue your education and strengthen your credentials for higher level positions. Upon completion of the program you can:
- Work in a variety of settings, including community residences, independent living facilities, vocational programs, or in home support services
- Apply program credits towards NECC’s Associate Degree in Human Services
Courses and RequirementsSkip Required Courses and Program Notes
A pathway is the most efficient sequence of courses semester-to-semester recommended for students to complete their degree. View the suggested pathway for the Direct Support Certificate.