Preparing for Classes in English (ESL)
We Can Help You Succeed in College
Our commitment to helping everyone access a high quality college education includes providing high-level coursework in English as a Second Language.
When you become an NECC student, you will take the Academic Placement Assessment, or ACCUPLACER, which will help to accurately place you in the appropriate classes to ensure your success.
If you need to improve your English language skills before moving on to college-level courses, you will be placed in Academic ESL in Intermediate ESL, High Intermediate ESL, or Advanced ESL. These courses are eligible for financial aid but do not carry graduation credit and are not usually transferable. They will help you make progress in your English language abilities to move on to college-level courses.
Prepare for College-level Study, Experience College Life
These programs are run like typical college classes, with conversation groups, workshops, and language labs. Additional benefits include:
- One-on-one tutoring
- Support from counselors and advisors
- Access to NECC’s library, computer labs, and technical support
- Experiences that connect classroom learning to the community
- Opportunity to participate in NECC’s clubs, activities, leadership programs, and sports teams
Fast Learner? There are Multiple Ways to Accelerate Your Progress
- Once you reach the Advanced ESL level you will be able to take some courses toward your degree
- NECC offers accelerated learning programs and the opportunity to skip levels
- You can take classes online, as well as on-campus