MA Inclusive Concurrent Enrollment Initiative (MAICEI) Program
MAICEI Program Overview
The Massachusetts Inclusive Concurrent Enrollment Initiative (MAICEI) Program, funded by the Commonwealth since 2007, provides dual enrollment opportunities for high school students, ages 18 to 22, with intellectual disabilities and/or autism spectrum disorder, to participate in an inclusive college experience.
Students must be from partnering school districts and be between the ages of;
- 18 to 22, have not passed MCAS, and are eligible for special education services as documented through an Individualized Education Plan (IEP); or
- 20 to 21, have passed MCAS, but are still eligible for special education with an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) because of significant functional disabilities, transition needs, etc.
Students have the opportunity to take college courses, for credit or audit, at Northern Essex Community College Haverhill or Lawrence campuses. Students benefit academically and transition to young adulthood more readily when they have the opportunity to engage in all college-related activities rather than staying at high school.
The MAICEI program is supported by a state-funded grant awarded to Northern Essex Community College in 2015. Our current partners are;
- Andover High School
- Georgetown High School
- Haverhill High School
- Lawrence High School
- Methuen High School
- Newburyport High School
- North Andover High School
Students in the MAICEI Program Have the Opportunity to:
- Take credit and non-credit courses alongside their college peers
- Develop self-determination and self-advocacy skills
- Improve academic, social, and functional skills
- Participate in career planning, vocational skill-building activities, and community-based integrated competitive employment opportunities
MAICEI Program Students Receive
- Specialized enrollment, registration and academic advising
- Community-based employment and individualized career support
- Educational Coaches and Peer Mentors
- Full access to NECC Student Clubs and Organizations, the Library, Wellness and Fitness Center, and Academic Support Services
Interested in Participating in the MAICEI Program?
If you are interested in participating in the MAICEI program, please contact your high school Guidance Counselor or Transition Specialist to discuss your eligibility. Once approved by your transition team, a meeting will be arranged to meet with the MAICEI coordinator at NECC.
MAICEI (MA Inclusive Concurrent Enrollment Initiative) Coordinator
Behrakis One-Stop Student Services Center, SC-111
Director, Learning Accommodations Center
Behrakis One-Stop Student Services Center, SC-111 B