NECC Home / Support Services / Academic Support Services / Start at NECC & Transfer / Transfer Checklist
Follow these Steps to Ensure a Seamless Transfer!
Begin Your Educational Planning
- Meet with Academic Advising to discuss your career and life goals and the educational program(s) at NECC that will best prepare you
- Explore the majors at four-year schools that best align with your learning and career goals – the school you transfer to will request that you declare your major of study when you transfer in
- Identify 2 – 4 schools that offer your major and appeal to you for other reasons (size, location, reputation, cost)
- Determine whether NECC already has a Transfer Agreement with one or more of the schools you are considering
- Attend NECC’s Transfer Day Event
Gather the Information You’ll Need to Transfer
- Contact the Admissions Offices at the schools you are considering or go online to request information
- Learn about application requirements, deadlines, and whether you will need to complete entrance exams, and add these important dates to your calendar
- Contact the school’s Financial Aid Office to learn about scholarships and other financial aid opportunities
- Visit the campus of each school you are considering
- Speak with the Transfer Admission Counselor at your target schools to discuss their specific transfer requirements and policies
Understand the coursework that you will be required to complete to earn your declared major
Finalize Transfer Planning and Action Steps at NECC
- Meet with Academic Advising to review the evaluation of transferrable credits you received from the school you to which you will transfer
- Review the coursework remaining to be completed at NECC in order to transfer and make a plan for when you will take each course
- Petition to graduate with NECC’s Registrar’s office
- Compiled all the necessary documents and information required for my financial aid applications
Apply for Admission and Financial Aid at Your Future School
- Complete all necessary application paperwork including sending your academic transcripts from NECC (and high school if requested)
- Ask faculty members who know you well to provide a written recommendation for you to submit with your application (at minimum they will need 2 weeks to complete this for you, so make sure you request this well in advance of the deadline to apply for admission to your future school – and make sure to check that they have completed this on your behalf and to thank them!)
- Make copies of all of your application and financial aid materials before you mail them or send them electronically
- If the application requires an essay, give this your best effort, double check spelling and ask someone else to review it for you (make sure to save a back up copy in more than one place – computer, flash drive, printed copy, etc.)
- Complete NECC’s Financial Aid transcript and send it to the school(s) to which you are applying
- If there is an application fee, make sure you pay it, or get written documentation that this fee is being waived for you
“Transferring has been great and easy. Honestly, I think going to Northern Essex and then transferring to a four-year school is the way to go. You get a great education at a great cost. It’s an easy transition into a four-year college because NECC prepares you to be independent.” Read CJay’s story.
- There are no upcoming events.
We’re here to help. Contact us if you have questions.