The Following Policies Will Govern the Laptop Lending Program at NECC Libraries
- Laptops may be borrowed only by currently enrolled NECC students. Laptops are not available for students covered by any of the NECC partnership agreements.
- Laptops are available on a first come – first served basis. A student must present a valid NECC student ID in order to check out a laptop. No reservations for equipment will be accepted.
- At the time students check out a laptop, they will need to read and sign an Equipment Liability Agreement. The form will include the checkout parameters and overdue fee structure.
- A copy of the Equipment Liability Agreement will travel with the equipment each time it is checked out, showing the date and time it is due back, an itemization of the pieces of equipment loaned, liability for overdue fees and replacement costs. A sheet showing basic operation instructions and contact information if problems are encountered during the loan period will also be included.
- Laptops will only be checked out and checked in during operating hours of the library. At the time of check out, the Evergreen receipt showing the specific due date/time should be attached to a copy of the Equipment Liability Form, and given to the student.
- Laptops may be borrowed for up to 48 hours at a time. Equipment that is borrowed on a Thursday will be due back by 3:00pm on the subsequent Friday. Equipment borrowed on a Friday will be due back in 72 hours on the following Monday (or Tuesday if a holiday weekend).
- Borrowed equipment is not eligible for renewal, and cannot be checked out again by the same individual student for a minimum of 7 days from the date of return.
- Equipment that is not returned by the date and time due will accrue a fee of $1.00 per hour for the student to whom it has been loaned.
- As staffing levels permit, the library will attempt to contact the borrowing student in the event that a laptop is overdue to remind them of their obligation. Even if contact with the student is made, the $1.00 per hour overdue charge will still continue to accrue until such time as the laptop is physically returned to and checked in by the library.
- If a laptop is overdue by 24 hours, a Banner HOLD will be placed on the student account until
such time as the equipment has been returned and deemed to be in working order. When a laptop has been returned that is 24 hours or more overdue, the student to whom the equipment was checked out will forfeit equipment checkout privileges for the remainder of the current semester. An alert shall be placed on the student’s Evergreen record to that effect.
- Laptops must be returned to the same library (Haverhill or Lawrence) from which they were checked out. Laptops cannot be left with Public Safety or any other college staff besides appropriate library staff. Laptops and equipment may NOT be placed in library book drops. Any equipment that is left with Public Safety, in a book drop, or elsewhere will continue to accrue overdue charges until such time as actually checked in by library staff, and will result in the student to whom the equipment was checked out forfeiting his or her equipment checkout privileges. An alert shall be placed on the student’s Evergreen record to that effect.
- When equipment is returned to the library, the receiving staff member will visually inspect all
pieces to assure that everything is present, and also turn on the laptop to insure a proper boot