Writing Tutoring Resources
Welcome to NECC’s Writing and English Skills Center
Who Are We?
We are professional writing specialists who support NECC students seeking to build their skills and confidence as academic writers. Our consultation services are FREE for all NECC students. NECC Writing Centers are located in Haverhill in the Spurk Building, Room C207 and in Lawrence in the Dimitry Building, Room L202.
What Do We Do?
We collaborate with students, assisting with assignments at every stage of the writing process — including prewriting, organizing, drafting, revising, and editing. After our meetings, students typically report improvements in:
- Understanding the assignment’s prompt and requirements
- Organizing ideas, planning content, and crafting a thesis statement
- Assessing the credibility of sources
- Revising to include strong topic sentences, grammar, and word choice
- Citing sources using MLA or APA format
What Should You Bring to Your Appointment?
Students typically bring the assignment prompt as well as a draft of their paper. It can be helpful to bring a list of ideas or topics as well as comments from the instructor.
Can I Use the Writing Center If I Have Nothing Written Down?
Absolutely! The Writing Center tutors can assist with prewriting techniques, offer advice about research methods, and provide solutions for formulating research questions and thesis statements.
Are There Computers in the Writing Center?
Both the Haverhill and Lawrence Writing Centers have computers that are available for use by students who are getting writing assistance.
How Can We Help You?
While walk-in help often is available, we strongly recommend that you schedule an appointment via Navigate to ensure that you can been seen at the time that is most convenient for you. Make an appointment via Navigate by downloading the Student Navigate app on your phone. (Search for Navigate Student in the Google Play or Apple App Store.) You can also sign into MyNECC on your computer. Click this link if you have additional questions about Navigate.
- Click on “Navigate Student”
- Select “Tutoring” as the Care Unit
- Select “Haverhill Writing and English Skills Tutoring” or “Lawrence Tutoring Center”
- Choose “Writing” as the Service
- Select “In Person” or “Virtual Appointment” as the Meeting Type
- Choose the date and time you would like.
- Select the tutor you would like to work with and then save the appointment.
- Congratulations! You have reserved an hour to collaborate with us on your next writing project. We look forward to meeting with you.
How Can You Use the NECC Library?
Visit NECC Library to see the library’s catalog with information about library cards and scheduling an appointment with a librarian.
Do You Have An Essay You’d Like to Share with NECC’s Writing Project?
The Writing Project is an online reader that features source-based essays written by NECC students. NECC students, faculty, staff, and administrators are all invited to submit an essay to be considered for publication. If you’re interested, you can complete a Submission Form.Print View