This site is best viewed in Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or EdgeX



Providing the Right Fit of Classes for You

The Academic Placement & Testing Center uses an English Guided Self-Placement (GSP), and a Mathematics Guided Self-Placement (GSP) to complete your academic assessment. An English language assessment may be used as well. Placement is offered in person at the Haverhill Campus and the Lawrence Campus. However, you may be exempt from taking the academic assessment.

Exemptions from taking the academic assessment.

At Northern Essex Community College, the following multiple measures may exempt you from the full or partial academic assessment. 

High School GPA (Grade Point Average)
  • You may be waived if you meet NECC’s Math and Writing GPA placement criteria. Learn more.
SAT Scores
  • If you have SAT scores, you may be waived from the reading and writing assessment. There are no math SAT waivers. Request your College Board SAT Score Report and submit your SAT scores to Enrollment Express Services or the Academic Placement & Testing Center. Learn more.
    High School Equivalency HiSET/GED Scores
    • If you have taken the HiSET or GED test and meet HiSET College & Career Readiness Scores or the GED College Ready Scores, you may be waived from the reading, writing and math assessment. Submit your HiSET or GED scores to the Academic Placement & Testing Center. Learn more.
    AP Scores
    • The College Board Advanced Placement program (AP) provides participating high schools the opportunity to offer college-level coursework to students in a variety of subject areas. AP scores range from 1 to 5 points. AP scores of 3, 4, 5 are commonly acceptable as the equivalent of college-level course work. Please view the Advanced Placement (AP) Credit Policy at NECC and complete the Advanced Placement (AP) Request form to get started! 
    Prior Coursework
    • If you have previously attended another college/university, NECC will evaluate successfully completed courses to see if you are exempt from testing. Submit your transcript to
    Seal of Biliteracy

    Students who submit a high school transcript or diploma with the Seal of Biliteracy designation are exempt from taking the Accuplacer reading and writing assessment tests. Complete the Seal of Biliteracy Request Form. 

    You need to take the academic assessment:

    • If you enroll in a degree or certificate program.
    • If you enroll in any Math or English course.
    • Before you complete six credits.
    • If you are not exempt.
    Steps required for Placement

    Steps required for Placement.

    • Go to the Placement Schedule for online and walk in days and times, no appointment is necessary.
    • Bring your NECC ID number.
    • Bring a photo identification card for in-person assessment.
    Accommodated Testing

    Accommodations during academic assessment can be provided for students with documented disabilities. You must make arrangements in advance by contacting the Center for Accessibility Resources & Services.

    Other services

    For information on other testing services, including Health Profession TEAS and Fundamentals exams, GED/HiSET testing, Certification exams, and more, visit Testing Services.

    For information on how you can earn credit for prior learning, including CLEP/DSST, Language Proficiency and Challenge exams, Credential evaluations, Portfolio Reviews and Military evaluations, visit Credit for Prior Learning.

    Print View