Career Planning Checklists
- Workforce & Community
- For Our Community
- Events & Resources
- Adult Basic Education
- Computer Skills
- Occupational Training
- Exam and Test Prep
- On-Demand Classes
- Personal Enrichment
- Professional Development
- Convince Your Boss
- For Employers
- Police Academy
- PIÉS Latinos de NECC
- Gallaudet University Regional Center East
- GURC Staff
- MA Family Sign Language Program
- Gallaudet University
- Rhode Island Sign Language Initiatives
- Shared Reading Saturday
- Academic Bowl
- Workshops and Conferences
- Technical Assistance
- Lending Library
- Resources for Families and Professionals
- Career Services
- Testing Services
- For Our Community
A Step by Step Guide to Career Planning and Success
With a little advance planning, you can make your transition from college to career much easier. And we’re here to help!
By following the steps outlined on this page (and not all of them may apply to your career goals), you will be well prepared for professional success.
Career Planning Goals
Year One Checklist
Year One Career Planning Checklist
- Make an appointment with Career Services to discuss your interests and explore career options.
- Set up an account on Pathful Explore, our online career interest and exploration tool to learn about occupations. Use your NECC email to create an account.
- Activate your Handshake account and explore opportunities to get real-world experience through internships or job opportunities.
- Get involved with one or more student clubs or organization so you can develop and demonstrate skills like communication, teamwork, initiative, and leadership. These can help build your resume, your network, and your experience.
- Attend Career Center Events & Workshops to explore careers, network with employers, and more.
- Create a resume, draft a cover letter, and ask Career Services to review and offer feedback.
- Attend college events, network, and look for opportunities to job shadow or intern so you can see firsthand if a particular career is right for you.
Year Two Checklist
Year Two Career Planning Checklist
- Attend Career Center Events & Workshops and learn about interviewing, the importance of social media in your job search, and more.
- Create an account on LinkedIn, the social networking site for professionals.
- Update your resume to reflect your involvement with NECC clubs and student groups, internships and other experiences relevant to your career goals.
- Develop a list of employers in your field(s) of interest and do online research to identify companies that you are particularly interested in.
- Contact professionals in your field and ask for an informational interview – this is a good, low-pressure way to learn more about occupations and industries of interest, possible career paths, and network while building your communication skills and confidence. Be sure to prepare for these conversations by researching, asking good questions, and always follow up. Prepare in advance and review with Career Services.
- Get career advice and support from NECC alumni. Visit NECC Connect to connect with NECC grads working in your field of interest and contact them with your career questions.
- Utilize your Handshake account to connect with employers and to apply for jobs and internships. Start applying two to three months before you’ll complete your program.
Let us know when you have accepted a position and tell us what else we can do to help other NECC students!Print View
We’re here to help. Contact us if you have questions.