Greetings and Welcome to Northern Essex Community College
Northern Essex Community College is the smart choice for international students looking to study in the U.S. NECC is located in Massachusetts and about 45 minutes away from Boston. The college has two campuses giving students access to both urban center of Lawrence, and rural Haverhill campus. You can easily access restaurants and cafes in the downtown area, catch a train to Boston to attend sporting events, or take a quick road trip to the outlets in Maine or New Hampshire for some tax free shopping! We are just a short drive away from the rocky coastlines, sandy beaches, mountains, as well as forest, lakes, farms and urban centers. Additionally our campus Student Engagement and Athletic Department offices have many opportunities for students to stay active, play sports, get engaged and connected to others on campus.
NECC international students come from a variety of cultural backgrounds. Countries typically represented in our student body are; Kenya, Turkey, Nigeria, Vietnam, Albania, Brazil, Ecuador, Italy, Philipines, Cambodia and the Dominican Republic among others. We are confident that you will feel very welcome here.
Why Northern Essex Community College?
- Northern Essex provides the first two years of a university education at a fraction of the cost of a four-year university.
- Classes are small with qualified faculty and staff dedicated to making your educational experience a value for your future.
- Associate degrees are available in variety of subjects.
- Communiversity partnerships allow students to complete Bachelor’s degree from a four-year university partner without the need to relocate.
- The Mass Transfer agreement keeps students on track, lets save money and transfer seamlessly to earn their Bachelor’s degrees at a public four-year university or college as well as University of Massachusetts system.
- Optional Practical Training (OPT)- one year of work in the U.S. – is available to students who complete an Associate Degree.
- Designated School Officials/International Student Advisors are available at each campus to assist F-1 students with admission, academic planning, immigration status, and other advising needs.
Future F-1 International Students
We are authorized by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to admit eligible students on an F-1 visa to degree-seeking programs. Students outside the U.S. wishing to study at Northern Essex must apply for an F-1 visa. The terms of this visa require you to: Be full-time students (minimum 12 credits/4 classes per each semester); And be in good standing with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) while studying in the United States.
If you wish to attend Northern Essex Community College on an F-1 visa, your first step is to complete the admission process. Once your application is on file, an advisor will reach out to you with list of required documents and will become your direct contact for the entire process. When all requirements are fulfilled, you will receive an acceptance letter and I-20 form, which you will use to obtain your F-1 student visa at a local U.S. embassy or consulate.
Application deadlines for F-1 International Students are as follows:
- Fall Semester: July 15
- Spring Semester: December 15
For information about the international student application process or how to apply to NECC as an International F-1 Student, please contact:
Maria Hernandez, PDSO