General Studies: Music Degree
Prepare for a Career in Music at NECC!
If you love music –creating it, playing and performing it, or teaching others how to understand and appreciate it, NECC can help you turn your passion into a profession, with a Music degree!
Why Choose NECC?
NECC’s Music Degree Program provides you with a foundation for a successful career in music. This program covers music theory, performance, education, ear-training, and the computer technology. Computer technology is now an integral part of music-making, particularly for pop artists.
In this program you will:
- Learn how to read and write music, including creating original scores
- Experience music from all cultures and styles
- Take part in performance workshops
- Perform with NECC’s music ensembles or participate in choral and music clubs, theatrical productions, and concerts
- Take advantage of MassTransfer Pathways and other transfer agreements to earn your bachelor’s degree in a music or a related field, while saving thousands of dollars on the cost of your degree
Because of NECC
You will be prepared to transfer to a number of bachelor degree programs or to pursue a broad range of full- and part-time jobs in the music industry. After completing the General Studies: Music Degree you can:
- Transfer to a bachelor degree program in music or a related field at UMass (Lowell, Boston, Dartmouth), Salem State, Berklee College of Music, Boston Conservatory, and more
- Seek a career in a broad array of fields that require musical knowledge and talent including education, performance, business, therapy, and technology
- Work as a performing musician, music teacher, recording technician, engineer/mixer, and more
I always talk up the music program here. My favorite thing about the program is that you can take so many music related courses. There is a course for whatever interests you and it is just so affordable here.”
Lindsey Michaud, General Studies: Music Option
Courses and RequirementsSkip Required Courses and Program Notes
A pathway is the most efficient sequence of courses semester-to-semester recommended for students to complete their degree. View the suggested pathway for the General Studies: Music Associates in Arts degree.