This site is best viewed in Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or EdgeX

FAQs for Students Applying to NECC

Do I Have to Apply to the College If I Only Want to Take One Course?

No, you may take up to two courses (excluding English or Math) without applying to the college and/or having taken the assessment placement test. However, we strongly encourage you to apply to the college and take the assessment placement test if you want to work toward the completion of an associate’s degree or certificate. Please note: You must be in a degree or certificate program to apply for Financial Aid.

If I Apply, Do I Still Have to Register?

Yes, you will see the term ‘register’ when you enroll in your courses each semester.

How Many Credits Make up One Course?

Most courses are three credits; however, some courses with labs are four credits.

How Many Credits Do I Have to Be Enrolled in to Be a Full-Time Student?

Twelve credits or more

Am I Eligible for Financial Aid If I Only Take One Course?

Most students must enroll in six credits or more. There are, however, some students who may only take only one course and still be eligible for financial aid. Please check with your financial aid counselor.

Do I Need to Complete the NECC Student Orientation?

Yes, the NECC Student Orientation is mandatory. Orientation is the best way to get acquainted with NECC, prepare for the start of classes, and learn how we can support you along the way.

How Will I Know Which Courses to Register For?

Most students are required to take an assessment placement which will help determine what level courses you should begin with. You will meet with an academic advisor from our Student Success Hub to help you select courses.

What Is a Program or Major?

A program or major is the field of study in which you choose to complete your associate’s degree or certificate. All programs are outlined in NECC’s Academic Advising handbook.

Can I Transfer Credit From Another College?

Yes, you must submit an official college transcript from an accredited college or university for a credit evaluation. Transfer credit may be awarded for college level courses with a grade of “C” or better. A minimum of 24 credit hours of course work must be completed at NECC in order to qualify for an associate’s degree and a minimum of 12 credits to qualify for a certificate.

Will I Have a School Email Account?

You will be given access to an NECC email account when you register for classes and most correspondence from NECC will be sent to your NECC email account. Please be sure to check your NECC email and Self-Service regularly.  To set up your email account for the first time, go to the Email information page.  You can find a link for the email when you login to myNECC, under the heading Frequently Used tools.

Why Do I Need to Purchase Health Insurance If I Am Registered in 9 or More Credits?

The Massachusetts Mandatory Health Insurance Law requires that all students carrying 9 credits or more in the Fall or Spring terms must participate in the Massachusetts Regional Community Colleges’ Student Accident & Sickness Insurance Plan or in a health insurance program with comparable coverage. This law does not apply to students who register for 9 credits or more only in the Summer term. If you have comparable coverage you may waive the insurance premium by filling out an electronic waiver. The deadline for submitting this waiver is the due date of your bill. If you have not completed an online waiver by the due date of your bill, it will be assumed that you do not have your own health insurance and the insurance charge will remain on your account.

You can find more information regarding health insurance on the Tuition and Costs page.

Print viewPrint View
Get Map and Diretions on Google