Peace Poetry Contest
Honor the Ideal of Peace
Developed and executed by faculty, staff, and students participating in Service Learning, the goal of the Peace Poetry Contest is to promote an understanding and value for peace through the creation of works focused on the topic. While the contest is run by NECC community members, it is K-12 students, and adults from these schools, who are encouraged to create and submit original works of poetry.
How You Can Help Spread Peace – and the Word About the Peace Poetry Contest
- Participate in a peace poster contest
- Write news articles
- Help develop a website
- Update and augment a database of participating schools
- Judge submissions
- Prepare poems for publication
- Create a book cover and layout
- Volunteer as a table leader at the reading event
- Film and take photographs of participants reading their poems
- Support post-contest event follow up activities
Why Is the Peace Poetry Contest Important?
We believe that children cannot lean to speak the language of possibility, or envision a culture of peace, if they do not have the opportunity to identify such moments and values within themselves, and their relationships. Through this contest we seek to help students find a way to embrace the concept of peace, and to disavow violence and bullying in all forms.
Contest and Reading Event Dates
Contest Deadline: Friday, March 11, 2022
Reading Event Date: Friday, May 20, 2022 at 6PM