Want to be a tutor? We are currently hiring tutors.
The Rhode Island Sign Language Initiatives classes are coordinated and run by Gallaudet University Regional Center East.
All of our tutors are either deaf or hard of hearing, and are specially trained in the provision of Sign Language instructions. Tutors follow a curriculum specially designed for families. The curriculum addresses not only the learning of sign language vocabulary but also the application of signs to everyday life. As part of our classes, tutors will share their knowledge about Deaf culture and teach the families ways of making their family communications more visual/accessible for their child.
Below is a list of documents required from anyone wishing to work as one of our tutors:
- Your resume
- A Rhode Island Sign Language Initiatives tutor application form (PDF)
- A BCI (Bureau of Criminal Identification) background check (PDF)
- A copy of your driver’s license or US passport
- Records proving you’ve been immunized for Measles, Mumps and Rubella from your doctor
- Results of a Tuberculosis test from your doctor
Please mail these documents to administrative assistant and program coordinator, Adrianna Neefus, at:
Gallaudet University Regional Center East
Northern Essex Community College
100 Elliott St.
Haverhill, MA 01830
We look forward to hearing from you soon!
If you are already a tutor, thank you! This program can’t possibly run without you. You make a huge difference in the lives of the families that you help. You are very much appreciated.
Tutors can submit time sheets electronically.Print View