American Sign Language Studies
American Sign Language Studies Associate Degrees and Certificates
View video on the NECC YouTube Channel.
If you would like your career to include providing services to the Deaf /Hard of Hearing/ DeafBlind communities, Northern Essex offers several options for you to choose from. Our American Sign Language Studies Associate Degree has three concentrations to choose from:
- American Sign Language Concentration
- Human Services Concentration
- Interpreting Transfer Concentration
We also offer a Sign Language Interpreting Certificate, which is an intensive program designed to provide a foundation in American Sign Language (ASL), Deaf Culture, and Interpreting. Participants also have an opportunity to explore careers in sign language interpreting.
Studying for a Sign Language Degree at NECC:
You can enter the workforce directly or transfer to a four-year bachelor’s degree program.
- If you want to enter the workforce directly, you can prepare for a career as a direct service provider in residential programs independent living, organizations, or state agencies.
- Or you can transfer into a four-year program in ASL – English Interpreting, Deaf Studies, education, or human/social services among numerous options.
The American Sign Language Studies degree can also be an advantage in other professions that serve Deaf/Hard of Hearing/DeafBlind people.
Please call or email one of the following:
Kevin Fleese, Program Coordinator
Leslie Young, ASL Studies Program Assistant
Phone: 978-556-3667 or VP 978-377-8033
Frequently Asked Questions
Interested in taking a non-credit class instead? View our non-credit online options.Print View